Spy Games Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Time Traveler's Wife & other things

Confession time: I haven't been working on Spy Games. The reason behind this insanity?

Time Traveler's Wife


This book consumed me for so many heart-wrenching and thought provoking reasons. First, for those of you who didn't see the movie, let me explain what the story is about. We have one of the protagonists, Henry, who is a "Chrono-displaced person." Meaning that he time travels. Literally. One second, he standing in front of you, the next second, he's completely gone - leaving just his clothes in a pile on the floor.

Then we have Clare, who is Henry's future wife. The thing of Henry's time travel is that he is pulled to big events in his life. For example, his mother died when he was six in a horrific car accident. He's been back to this time in his life hundreds of times. He says that if you were to look around the scene very, very closely -- he is everywhere. He's hiding in the trees, looking from the overpass -- he even places a blanket over the shoulders of his six year old self.

In Henry's middle aged years, he finds himself pulled to a Meadow behind this ginormous house. Come to find out, this is the Childhood home of Clare, his wife. Essentially, in the first few chapters, we learn that Clare has known Henry since she was six, and has had this whole life with him. When Clare and Henry first "meet," Clare is twenty, Henry is twenty eight. So because he doesn't flash back to her childhood until he is around 33, he is completely unaware of any of the experiences he has already had with her.

If that makes sense.

Another reason why I adore this story is that Henry and Clare are completely lovable together. The author does an excellent job of creating these characters who are completely three dimensional and really pop off the page. Henry is hysterical -- and totally in love with Clare. And Clare has a very pronounced and elegant character arc. We see her as a child and a believable adolescent, both through Henry's eyes and Clare's own thoughts. These experiences turn her into an amazingly strong woman, stronger than I could be I think.

Read it! The author does a great job of showing how Henry's and Clare's relationship progresses and puts an interesting twist on the "old-fashioned" love story. It comes highly recommended by yours truly.

In other news,




LMAO!!!

Failblog owns my life.

The Lost premiere was AWESOME!!! I don't know if anyone else was excited about it, but I was -- and they definitely did not disappoint. I love the idea of the flash-sideways. It's interesting to think that these people would still have crossed paths, even if the plane had landed.

To be completely honest though, I'm a little pissed off that I watched five years of plot line and story arcs, only to be forced to forget all of that in the last season when the producers decide that setting off a nuclear bomb puts a reset on everything and changes it completely.

The part in the Temple -- completely did not see that coming. I thought Sayid was a goner for sure. But you know what I think? I think that Jacob found a way to embody Sayid or something.. I dunno.. we'll see what happens in the next episode.

Sayid was always my favorite. I saw that episode where he broke someone's neck with his feet, and I was in love..

Wait, wait..



DUDE KILLED ANOTHER DUDE . . . WITH HIS FEET!!

Shit's just crazy. If I was on that island, I would have had the same idea as Shannon. Sayid's the mother fucker I'm bunking with.

And on a personal note, there's two feet of snow on the ground right now. I'm gonna get some hot chocolate, write a little bit, and then watch some tv. Any good shows you recommend?

2 comments:

  1. I have totally read that book and I know what you mean! Really addicting! I read it after I watched the movie and just let me say, as always book's so much better!

    I am too a fan of list and I think it way insane! I agree with you about Jacob finding a new body in Sayid...remember Ben was saved in that same Temple and Richard said that he would never be the same and would always be one of the others. Now Sayid is in the same situation! I was mad they killed off Juliet already! Also do you think that the 'black smoke man' has been jumping from body to body around that island the whole series....example is he Christian, Jack's father? What about Alex....when she told Ben to follow John... cuz 'black smoke man' wasn't allowed to kill Jacob! Just food for thought!

    I really hope that you update soon! I have been patiently waiting! Amazing work so far :) Huge fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know.. The producers have spent 5 years building this "rivalry" between Jack and John, as the man of science and man of faith, respectively. I was half expecting Jacob to take Jack's body somehow, and there would be this epic battle between the two of them.

    And it's very confusing to me why the smoke monster couldn't kill Jacob -- Did Jacob kill the Man In Black, originally? Is that why he has to take the form of dead people?

    I wholeheartedly believe that the MIB guy was taking the form of Christian and Alex..

    All in all, I think it's gonna come down to this. I think that Jacob is going to represent life and healing -- being that his followers live at the Temple with that "spring." And I think that the MIB/Smokey will represent death and judgment. Like at the end of the pilot episode when John Locke kicked the shit out of Richard and then turned to everyone and said "I'm very disappointed in ALL of you." Like he was judging them, like he gave the final verdict as to whether they lived on the island or were outcasted. Perhaps the Island really is heaven or purgatory or something along those lines.

    I don't know. Lost has consumed me -- yet confused the living hell out of me for 5 seasons. I really hope the producers give us some answers this season!

    Jamie, thanks for reading. I'm still working on the next chapter, but like I said, it's hard to think about what happens to Edward and Bella, when all I can imagine is Henry and Clare. I just fell in love with them, my dear. Fell in love with them hard! Ha Ha!

    ReplyDelete